Rules of Conduct for IURS Participants
The International Undergraduate Research Symposium (IURS) is a formal Scientific meeting and all attendees are required to participate in an appropriate manner. The idea is for all participants to help all other participants succeed.
During the symposium, which commences when you start your travel to the Symposium and ends when you get back home, the following rules apply:
- Attendees must always be with another attendee during the symposium and should also be accompanied by a local attendee at all times. This means in all circumstances and at all times except in the Hostel.
- Attendees are not to bring drugs with them except for Imodium AD, pain relievers (i.e. aspirin)1 and prescription drugs.
- Attendees are not to drink alcoholic beverages during the Symposium.
- Appropriate language should be used at all times.
- Customs of foreign countries will be different and are to be respected.
- Clothing appropriate to the activity is to be worn at all times. Shirt and tie or blouse and skirt or nice slacks for presentations, IURS tee shirt and jeans (no holes) for trips.
Everyone must always be on time. If you are late you will be left behind. You should always be 5 min early.
- Keep your passport safe at all times and someplace where you cannot lose it.
- When walking around be aware of your surroundings
- Cross streets at designated crossings
- (I put my wallet in my front pocket and my hand on my wallet in my pocket)
- Carry your purse under your arm
- Never give money to a person asking for money (best to just ignore)
- Never go with a non IURS participant
- Never attend other than IURS sanctioned parties
- Only drink from bottled drinks that you open yourself
- Bottled or Mineral water, with and without gas
- It is best to only eat cooked (HOT) food. Packaged food that you open yourself should be ok.
- Bring snacks in carryon luggage for plane ride and other in country trips.
1 If there are questions about this consult your advisor.